Garage Door Keypad Installation Guide
A garage door keypad makes your automatic garage door opener more convenient and easier to use. The keypad consists of a button remote that requires a security pin or code to open the door. It is normally placed outside the door so that anybody with code has the access to open the door and enter the garage without needing the remote. The challenging part of the installation is to figure out which type of wireless technology is compatible. Not all "universal" keypads will work with all door openers. Check your instruction manual for more information on buying the right keypad.
- Put batteries in the new keypad following the manufacturer's instructions. Then program the keypad to the garage door opener. Set 4-6-digit key code depending on the keypad. To enter keypad or remote programming mode, most of the openers require pressing the "Learn" button on the opener. The button is close to the wiring terminals or under the light cover. After pressing the learn button, the key code is entered into the keypad. Other openers, a final initiation sequence is entered.
- Check that the keypad will open and close the door with the key code. Look for a place to install the keypad that is convenient. Mostly, this is on the inside of the garage doorjamb near to where you enter the garage.
- Measure the height of approximately 5 feet on the doorjamb. Open the keypad opener and install the upper screw. There are keypads that have a keyhole-type slot to place over the screw head. Simply push the pad down slightly to hold it in place. Install the second screw to secure the keypad in place.
Things To Use
- Wireless garage door opener
- Tape measure
- Keypad batteries
- Keypad programming instructions
Look for the model number of the garage door opener. Check in the instruction manual which frequency and technology is use for the wireless communication. Buy a wireless keypad that will work with the garage door opener. The easiest way to make sure you have the correct keypad is to buy one from the same store that made the opener.
Do not disable any safety devices such as the garage door photocells.